Inclusive Access FAQ
What is Inclusive Access?
Inclusive Access (IA) is a program that gives students access to course materials digitally directly through Lower Columbia College's Learning Management System (LMS) Canvas on the first day of class. Instructors select the IA content provided to students. The course material may include an e-book or courseware (interactive learning components providing students with questions and feedback via customized software). This program has many benefits for students including keeping the cost of course materials as low as possible and removing the hassle out of ordering textbooks before the first day of the term. Immediate access to your materials on the first day of the term, lower overall costs, and an added benefit of lowering our carbon footprint with the reduction of shipping physical books are among the many perks in using IA. For more information on the benefits of Inclusive Access for instructors and students, click here.
- How does Inclusive Access work for Students?
- If your course is labeled as an Inclusive Access course through CTCLink, you will gain access to your course materials directly in Canvas on the first day of class.
- How do I pay for Inclusive Access Materials?
- If your course is labeled as an Inclusive Access course through CTCLink, you will have an Inclusive Access fee automatically added in your student account upon registration. You will not pay for your IA materials in-store or on our website. If you are not interested in Inclusive Access, you will be given an option to "opt out" of the IA digital content when the course begins. You have up to two weeks from the first day of the term to decide on opting out of IA. To opt out of IA, you will need to click the "opt out" button next to your course materials directly in Canvas and your student account will be refunded within 7 business days after the opt out deadline.
- What does it mean to opt out of Inclusive Access?
- If you do not want digital access to our course materials, you may opt out directly through Canvas. If you opt out, you will no longer have access to the materials through Canvas and you will need to purchase the required course materials elsewhere. You may opt out and opt back in through Canvas as many times as you would like until the opt out deadline. You will receive a refund if you opt out of the IA program before the opt out deadline. Refunds will be credited back to your student account after the opt out deadline. Our bookstore will have limited stock of physical textbooks for these courses, however, stock is not guaranteed.
- How do I opt out of Inclusive Access?
If you choose to opt out of Inclusive Access, you must opt out directly through Canvas. You will need to select the "Want to opt-out?" button below your
- How do I opt out of Inclusive Access if my class has more than one Inclusive Access course material?
- You will need to opt out of each course material that you do not want to use in Inclusive Access directly through Canvas. You can choose to opt out of only certain course materials and only be refunded for the course materials you opted out of by the opt out deadline.
- I dropped the course. Do I still need to opt-out?
No. If you drop the course, your refund will follow the same schedule as other course fees.
- If you drop the course before 9/24/23, you will receive 100% refund for the IA fee.
- If you drop the course after 09/25/23 and before 10/07/23, you will receive 50% refund for the IA fee.
- If you drop the course after 10/08/23, you will receive 0% refund for the IA fee.
This refund schedule is only for dropping the class. If you stay in the course, and opt out by the opt out deadline, September 29th, you will receive a full refund.
- I forgot to opt-out and missed the deadline. Can I get a refund now?
- No. You must opt out by the opt out deadline to get a refund. The bookstore will be sending out reminder emails for when the opt out deadline is approaching.
- I opted out by mistake and realized that I still need access. Can I opt back in?
- Yes, you may opt back in directly through Canvas by clicking on the same button that you used to originally opt out. Please note, you may only opt back in before the opt out deadline every term. If you are opted out of IA by the opt out deadline, you will lose access to your digital materials and will need to source your own version of the required course materials.
- I did not opt out, but I did not register my access or use the online platform. Will I still be billed?
- Yes. All students who are enrolled in a course using Inclusive Access are automatically given access and are charged for the digital material upon registration. If you do not wish to use Inclusive Access and will use materials you received elsewhere, you will need to opt out in Canvas by the opt out deadline in order to be refunded.
- How much does Inclusive Access cost?
- Prices for the course material will vary depending on the material. Most of the course materials in Inclusive Access are lower than what the material would cost directly from the publisher. There is a 60% average savings with Inclusive Access titles compared to the price of the new print version.
- What is a “Welcome Email”?
- All enrolled students in an Inclusive Access class will receive a “Welcome Email” explaining Inclusive Access, how to access their materials, how to opt out/in, and give specific deadlines. This email will go out to students one month prior the first day of class. If you enroll after that date, you will receive an email the following day. These welcome emails will be sent your CTCLink preferred email address. If you know that you are in an Inclusive Access course and do not receive an email, please email [email protected].
- I have further questions that were not addressed. Who do I contact?
- Please email the bookstore at [email protected] or contact us here.
Please enter search criteria